The pirts tradition is a Latvian jewel and a precious resource that we cherish and wish to maintain for our children and grandchildren to be able to practice and enjoy.
A great collective effort was put into developing the common understanding of pirts practice in 2022. This resulted in the decision by the Latvian Terminology Commission on 12 April 2022 to confirm the key terms relating to pirts, agreed by pirts professionals on a national level. LTC Decision in Latvian here.
In order to preserve the pirts tradition, strengthen its value and ensure its sustainability, an application for the pirts tradition to be inscribed on the list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Latvia (NKM) will be filed in early June 2023, pertaining to the entire territory of Latvia.
We invite every pirts professional and pirts lover to support and participate in our efforts to help move things forward and to eventually feel rewarded for the job well done.
We invite you to take part in our upcoming in-person events:
- 17 May The Congress of Latvian Pirts Professionals in Tērvete. You will have an opportunity to familiarise yourself with the collated information and the application, to engage in a discussion, ask questions and to be part of a historic decision to nominate the pirts tradition for the NKM list (more detailed information will follow soon).
- 21 May ‘Spīgana’ reunion in Riga. Engage in a discussion dedicated to inscribing the pirts tradition on the NKM list. You will also have the opportunity to sign a letter of support.
- 24 May join the meeting of the Congress of Latvian Pirts Professionals remotely via Zoom. During this meeting you will have the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the application (2nd reading), to participate in a discussion/ask questions and take active part in its preparation.
- 1 June meet in Tērvete to review the 'Pirts Tradition' project application (3rd reading) and supporting materials, discuss any remaining iterations and participate in the final decision-making.
- 3 June 12 noon to 1pm - meet in Cafe 'Pūnīte', the Ethnographic Open-Air Museum of Latvia, to sign the letter of support.
- 4 June meet in the creative workshop space of the Association in Dobele, participate in a discussion and sign the letter of support.
- Participate in conversations and express your thoughts virtually in the Pirts domnīca Facebook group.
We welcome you to share your thoughts and suggestions in support of this initiative without delay - letters can be posted to the LPSA address - Dobele, E.Francmaņa iela 1, LV-3701 or via email: info@latvjuPSA.lv.
Any questions are welcome via above addresses or mobile +371 29429071 (Aija)
We invite all pirts professionals to join the efforts to have the 'Pirts Tradition' inscribed on the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Latvia (NKM). You can:
- participate in the meetings of the Congress of Latvian Pirts Professionals to familiarise yourself with the application and the supporting materials, discuss any remaining iterations and participate in the final decision-making;
- share any written, photo or video material;
- sign the letter of support.
Congress of Latvian Pirts Professionals - 'The Pirts Tradition'
Every pirts professional and pirts lover is welcome to attend the Congress of Latvian Pirts Professionals -'The pirts tradition as Latvian Intangible Cultural Heritage'“.
The Congress will involve dedicated meetings with the aim to prepare the application, review supporting materials, contribute to the team effort, discuss final iterations and participate in the final decision-making.
- 17 May at 12 noon in the Round Room of the Rehabilitation Centre 'Tērvete', in Tērvete (in person)
- 24 May at 6pm via Zoom (remote)
- 1 June at 12 noon in the Round Room of the Rehabilitation Centre 'Tērvete', in Tērvete (in person)
The Congress Agenda:
Become familiar with the available information and the project of application for the 'Pirts Tradition' to be inscribed on the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Latvia. Discussions, Q & A.
Decision-making and signing of a joint protocol decision.
These will be entirely sincere and hearty working meetings on the pirts path - all our energy will be focussed on the important task at hand - evaluating, improving, fine-tuning and joint decision-making for the 'Pirts Tradition' to be put forward to be inscribed on the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Latvia.
A detailed agenda and related materials will be issued to each participant via email and added to the dedicated WhatsApp group.
To participate in the Congress, apply by 12 noon on 31 May 2023: https://forms.gle/bWPMD5HLzk7msJN3A
Come to the meetings dressed comfortably and ready to join in the action, participate and make progress. Healthy snacks will be welcome on the shared table.
Participation in the Congress for donation.
Follow the latest updates in our Facebook Group 'Pirts Domnīca'.
Please feel free to contact Aija via phone +371 29429071 or email email@example.com.
Looking forward to seeing you! 🇱🇻
Application to LNKC
Information will follow shortly